CPU Usage profiling

Hello,

I am trying to do CPU usage profiling using Instruments, but I don’t see the java code symbols there, only Obj-C symbols.
How can I do profiling on the Java side?
Can I make it show up in Instruments? (I want to know which calls in the java side consume the most CPU)

Thanks,
Alex.

Hi Alex,

you can do profiling using the method tracing functionality in ART.

You can add the following code snippet to the beginning of your app, and it will create a sampling based trace of the first 10 seconds of your app’s runtime. Obviously, you can put the start and stop calls where it makes the most sense for you.

List<NSURL> l = (List<NSURL>) NSFileManager.defaultManager().
                URLsForDirectoryInDomains(
                        NSSearchPathDirectory.DocumentDirectory,
                        NSSearchPathDomainMask.UserDomainMask);
        NSURL docDirURL = l.get(0); // Error handling is for cowards :)
        String fsPath = docDirURL.fileSystemRepresentation();
        System.out.println("Trace log path: " + fsPath);
        Debug.startMethodTracingSampling(fsPath + "/MOE-sampling.trace", 0, 100);
        new Timer().schedule(new TimerTask() {
            @Override
            public void run() {
                Debug.stopMethodTracing();
            }
        }, 10000);

The resulting trace file can be opened from the Android Device Monitor (included in Android Studio): https://developer.android.com/studio/profile/traceview.html

Best Regards,
Gergely

1 Like

Hi Gergely,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately this method does not show me CPU usage bottlenecks… Is there a way to see it in Instruments? Or maybe Android CPU Profiler? (https://developer.android.com/studio/profile/cpu-profiler.html)

Thank you,
Alex Itelman.

Maybe it is not as fancy as CPU Profiler in android studio, but Trace View been working fine for several years before android studio even existed. You can see % of execution time spent within a given method and drill down. So, that’s not exactly a CPU usage metric, but it does show same code hotspots where most CPU time is spent at.