Need Help with AudioQueue Data copy of short[]

Hi people !

i need help with the audio queue & buffers!

try to copy a (java) short[] buffer with n-elements, actually pcm integer values, into the mAudioData of an audio queue buffer. Can anybody help with my issue?

I try to reuse the speakHere Classes and have a write samples function

private AudioStreamBasicDescription mAudioFormat = new AudioStreamBasicDescription();
private Ptr<Ptr<AudioQueueBuffer>> mBuffers;
private AudioQueueRef mAudioQueue = null;
public void writeSamples(float[] samples, int offset, int numSamples) {
    // Copy the data into the current buffer.
    AudioQueueBuffer buffer = PtrUtils.getElemRef( mBuffers.get( mCurrentAudioBufferIndex ), 0);
    int bufferSize = buffer.mAudioDataByteSize();
    int bufferBytes = buffer.mAudioDataBytesCapacity();

i tried this, but couldn’t get it running:

CRuntime.copyShortArray(buffer.mAudioData().getPeer().getPeer(), 0, samples, 0, numSamples);

Any hint ?
Thanks in advance

Dear Ioannis Giannakakis,

please use

buffer.mAudioData().getShortPtr().copyFrom(samples, 0, numSamples);

instead of CRuntime.copyShortArray.

Also please make sure, that when you fill up the audio queue, you set the buffer’s mAudioDataByteSize and the copying doesn’t exceed mAudioDataBytesCapacity bytes.

Best Regards,
Kristóf

Hi Kristof,
Thanks a lot for the replay.
I tried your code and “hear” noise so I think there must be an issue with my buffers. I have a test sine wave on a440 Hz, but the sound is not continuous (stuttering).
I try to implement the simple Libgdx AudioDevice interface, which has a constructor and a writesamples method.
Any idea how to implement that for pcm data without file related methods… You do provide the AQPlayer example, but it’s not what I need.
Best regards, Yannis

how many AudioQueueBuffer’s are you using? Stuttering can be caused by the buffers not being readily available. Usually a good starting point is 3.

Best Regards,
Kristóf

I use 3,
Like in the AQPlayer example.
I fill the buffers in the writesamples methods and enqueue them in case already filled,
Then free them in the callback.

Maybe they are to small or I should increase them to 5.
I started to think about it could be a native, big or little endian issue…
As soon I ll be back at work, I ll post a gist with the code.
BR, Yannis

Dear Kristof,
i created the gist with the code already implemented.
Can u maybe get a look on it and tell what I’m doing wrong =

https://gist.github.com/yarnee/88e6640b269900dfb65e814282cee40f.js

Thank you,
Yannis

most of the logic seems ok, however I think you are not really using the API as it is meant to be. You are using another thread to fill and enqueue your buffers, however the call_AudioQueueNewOutput callback is meant for that. This might cause issues, because threading may cause unwanted latencies and this implementation may not be compatible with iOS’s background audio modes.

A simple implementation usually looks like this:

• Implement buffer filling, enqueuing and queue stopping logic in call_AudioQueueNewOutput
  • Create audio format
  • Create audio queue
  • Allocate N audio buffers
  • Fill and enqueue buffers with call_AudioQueueNewOutput
  • Start the audio queue with all available buffers pre-filled and enqueued
  • When call_AudioQueueNewOutput is invoked, fill the buffers immediately and enqueue them

Some other notes:

• AudioQueueStart should only need to be called to start the queue.
  • Changing the volume could be done immediately instead of when enqueuing a buffer.
  • Apple’s API documentation (if needed).
  • Apple’s guide usually explains the intended usage of API’s quite well.

Best Regards,
Kristóf

Hi Kristof,

thanks a lot for the quick answer.
i ll try to implement it as you mention above, i ll remove the thread and let everything happen in the call_AudioQueueNewOutput method.
What i like to handle is a continuous delivery of data through my libGDX application, so it will be a bit tricky to handle all cases in the call_AudioQueueNewOutput.
As soon as i ve implement that, i ll post a new gist. i m sure there are people outside, who also need an implementation of this interface.
BR, Yanni