Version 2.x release date

Hi,

we are starting the final round of tests, and plan to make the first development release of the 2.x branch mid next week. We are working hard to get everything ready (including updated documentation), stay tuned.

Best Regards,
Gergely

9 Likes

Dear kisg,
Can we expect a MOE 2.x pdf document? thanks!

1 Like

Dear @kisg,

Best regards to MOE team.
Saeed.

1 Like

how about moe 2.x first release? any changes?

Hi,

we are doing some more tests before the release, stay tuned…

Best Regards,
Gergely

1 Like

Dear @kisg,

Are these problems have been fixed in the new version?
this, this and this

Best Regards,
Saeed

No, the build times and the binary size will not be fixed in the first version. About the RAM usage it looks like that there is no bug, and it is more like an artifact of the default Instruments settings. We will provide more details about it soon.

The first version is a development build to test the MOE 2.0 stack, e.g.: Android N runtime + LLVM backend + Proguard Profiler. The size reduction + build time improvements can be built on this new base. But we need to have a base first to build upon.

I will describe everything in more detail in the release announcement blog post.

4 Likes

Can I be the first one to ask. Are we there yet? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Real Soon Now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It seems that we have a lot of change’s on next release!

God bless us. :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t mind the changes as long as it solved and simplified the process.

are we there yet? :joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

feel like waiting for Galaxy S8+

I’m anxiously waiting for those two features said included with 2.x version:

• java stack traces in the crash reports (hopefully Crashlytics still going to work)
  • support for 64bit emulators

In addition to that, reduced app size and ability to re-connect debugger to simulator and real device would be really nice to see in the future releases.

1 Like

For those of you who can’t wait any longer :slight_smile: I just pushed MOE 2.0.0-alpha-1.

The proper announcement / docs / source code will appear over the next days, but for the adventurous types here are the coordinates:

git clone https://github.com/multi-os-engine/moe-samples-java -b moe-master
git clone https://github.com/multi-os-engine/moe-samples-kotlin -b moe-master

I can’t stress this enough: this is an unstable development release, an Alpha version. Do not use it for production.

You should be able to run the samples the way you did with MOE 1.3. Upgrading a project from 1.3 to 2.0-alpha should be the same process as you had with the 1.3-beta -> 1.3 upgrade: update the gradle plugin version, and run the Xcode config updater from your IDE (New feature: now we have a Gradle task for this as well!). You should not get any troubles with this, please let me know if you run into anything. (LibGDX is largely untested, so there could be some dragons / flappy birds… :slight_smile:)

Known limitations (among many others, but these are the ones everyone is talking about):

• Binary size is larger than with MOE 1.3. Size optimization will be one of the next steps, I will make a detailed post about this in the next days.
  • Performance is better than MOE 1.3 on some benchmarks, but others are worse. Overall a bit better on the SciJava benchmark. I will also make a detailed post about performance, and why you should not care about it too much now :slight_smile:
  • Build times (particularly if you enable ProGuard (which you shouldn’t for now, if you are in a hurry, or don’t want your computer to glow white hot :slight_smile:). Well, Jack (and in some part LLVM) has to take the blame for this one. We already have the plan to migrate from it, can you guess what I am going to say about “making a detailed post” :slight_smile:.
  • Remote build is not supported now, you will need a Mac for MOE 2.0 at this time.

Enjoy (or better: wait for the proper announcement and docs :slight_smile:) ,
Gergely

4 Likes

Thank you Gergely. So, the new stacktraces and 64bit emulators are working in this alpha?

Yes, both should work. Please let me know if you run into any problems with them.

Dear Gergely, MOE team,

Best Regards and wish your team the best.

Saeed.

1 Like

Hopefully 2.x will solved push notification

Hi Gergely,

Why don’t I see a branch or release of 2.0.0-alpha-1 on for example:

Is the code still in Git on your local machine?

Also, will you merge the PR’s that are open on this github repo before a 2.0.0 release?

Maybe it will pushed when finalized the 2.x version.

Dear @kisg,

I have a two question about MOE 2.x final version.

1. Are the changes very tangible?
  2. When will you publish the final version?

Regards,
Saeed.

3 Likes